Saturday, October 2, 2010

Screenplay Enquiry

Good Will Hunting



Great movie, I was shocked when I found out, years after watching it, that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, both of South Park fame, had written the screenplay for this really entertaining film. Ok, maybe not shocked, but it was an interesting story of two friends making things happening for themselves, and reaping the benefits of their hard work greatly.






Anyways, I chose the most memorable scene in the movie, when Matt completely destroys this snob, prep school old money brat, with his superior intellect. It is basically the same in the movie as in the script, apart from minor streamlining in the dialogue. 




It was fun and refreshing to see someone pwn on an intellectual level, instead of the usual fighting ownedge, and that was probably a major factor in the success of the film. Lol that sentence sounds ridiculous, but I hope it makes sense.

Oh, and I found this updated version of the scene, just so the younger generation understands what the real message is.
 
300

This movie would probably have been better suited in the graphic novel assignment but I just had to have it here after I found this:


The (un)official abridged script to 300 does a great job of pointing out the silliness that many films fall into. Sometimes these little things can ruin the whole movie, but if the action is great as in 300, it often doesn’t matter. Couldn't find the original script, but this one is probably better.



Oh, it would have been great if the dialogue here below had been in the clip above : D

PETER MENSAH
I am a messenger for Rodrigo Santoro. He wants a gift of water and earth from you as a sign that you fall under his rule.
GERARD BUTLER
The men and women of Sparta submit to no ruler.
PETER MENSAH
But they all submit to you. You’re their king. And you submit to a bunch of inbred priests that talk to gods.
GERARD BUTLER
I shall kill you where you stand for pointing out how silly the premise is!

Storyboard


What was probably great for the people working on 300, is the fact that the storyboard for the movie already existed; based on the graphic novels by Frank Miller, the artists in charge of storyboarding the movie had the process mapped out for them
 

Back to the future


I was going to use the shooting script as a reference point, but then I found this gem, the original script from 1981.






Oh  nostalgia ensues, I watched this movie like a million times, back when VHS Ruled the world, and I and my brothers had to choose between episodes of Pride and Prejudice or BTTF; well you do the math. So it is great for a fan to see how much the script changes after all of the revisions it goes through before being filmed.



After reading the first act, I could see that they had altered the whole script before shooting it, and that’s a good thing in this instance, because the original is pretty awful heh. Lot of unnecessary extras, the main characters undeveloped, and the plot is just weak, although extremely amusing if you compare it to the actual movie.

In the original script the time machine is located in a theater, and it is powered by a home made nuclear furnace, which is powered by Coca-Cola. Haha thank god they didn't go with that idea.


Phew, woo, I got through it with a defective keyboard, you can read all about that in my previous post, where in my frustration I had a little RabbleRabble Moment : )

Nicesome!



0 comments:

Post a Comment